LET’S DO THIS!
These cupcakes are super decadent and indulgent however much healthier than most cupcakes. They are Paleo friendly as well.
- Dry ingredients
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sunflower meal* or almond flour
- 2 1/2 tsp aluminum and grain free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- Wet ingredients
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, NOT melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed peeled and grated beets
- 3/4 cup milkadamia Unsweetened milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat high-quality coconut milk (in a can)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Grease 2 muffin/cupcake pans and line each with large paper baking cups.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift all the dry ingredients over a medium bowl, leaving out the sunflower/
almond meal. Add meal to your sifted ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until
light, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until smooth. Add
melted chocolate and beets and mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milks and apple cider vinegar. Alternate
adding the dry ingredients and milk to the mixing bowl at low speed. Add
about 1/3 of each of the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with
dry ingredients until it reaches a smooth thick frosting-like consistency.
- Use a small measuring cup and fill cupcake cups 3/4 full with batter. The batter
will be very thick. Smooth out batter to fill the cups evenly.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick
comes out clean when inserted in the middle of a cupcake. To test for doneness
insert toothpick in one cupcake in each pan.
- Allow cupcakes to fully cool then frost with the dulce de leche frosting.
*Sunflower meal is achieved by placing raw unsalted sunflower seeds in a food
processor. Pulse until you get a fine meal. Be careful not to over pulse otherwise,
you will make seed butter. If you prefer you can substitute your favorite paleo
flour blend for all the flours and seed meals called for in the recipe (total is 1 1/4
cups). However, the best results are achieved if you use the flours blend called for in