German Chocolate Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting
Servings: 21 cupcakes
milkadamia Unsweetened Milk adds a satisfying, plant based milk version of decadence that makes any other frosting un-pastry-otic.
LET’S DO THIS!
These cupcakes are super decadent and indulgent but at the same time much healthier than most cupcakes. They are paleo-friendly as well.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cassava flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sunflower meal* or almond flour
- 2 1/2 tsp aluminum- and grain-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, NOT melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed peeled and grated beets
- 3/4 cup milkadamia Unsweetened Milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat high-quality coconut milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Grease 2 muffin/cupcake pans and line each with large paper baking cups.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift all the dry ingredients, leaving out the sunflower meal/almond flour, over a medium bowl. Add meal/flour to sifted ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat coconut oil, sugar and vanilla. Beat until light, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Add melted chocolate and beets and mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milks and apple cider vinegar. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and wet ingredients to the mixing bowl at low speed, adding about 1/3 of each and starting and ending with dry ingredients, until the mixture reaches a smooth, thick, frosting-like consistency.
- Use a small measuring cup and fill cupcake cups 3/4 full with batter. The batter will be very thick. Smooth out batter to fill the cups evenly.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of a cupcake. To test for doneness insert toothpick in one cupcake in each pan.
- Allow cupcakes to fully cool, then frost with the dulce de leche frosting.
*Sunflower meal is achieved by pulsing raw unsalted sunflower seeds in a food processor until you get a fine meal. Be careful not to over-pulse; otherwise, you will make seed butter. If you prefer you can substitute your favorite paleo flour blend for all the flours and seed meals called for in the recipe (for a total of 1 1/4 cups). However, best results are achieved if you use the flour blend called for in the recipe.