Thanks for contemplating going on the Veganuary expedition. Since its inception in 2014, Veganuary has inspired and supported more than half a million people in 178 countries to go vegan for January—empowering and enlightening people along the way. With all of the new (and delicious) plant-based products and online accessible recipes, it is not as hard as you think.
Why is switching to a vegan diet so important? There is no denying the massive climate impact taking place all around us. However, the good news is that the collective “we” have the power in our hands to turn away from destructive practices to those that benefit the animals, our health and the health of the planet.
So where do you start? This grocery checklist list is but one tool but it’s a great first step. Note that milkadamia makes delicious plant milks, creamers and buttery spread (our one and only small plug) but we also understand you may want to try other brands. If you do, we encourage you to pay particular concern to those utilizing palm oil in their products. Palm oil is a bit ubiquitous as a recent study found that nearly 50% of all packaged products contain palm oil, which leads to deforestation, loss of habitat and dispersion of native populations.
As with every great expedition, planning is vital. Adopting a vegan diet and lifestyle, even for a short time, requires a bit of foresight and dedication. Even with a well thought out program in place, just know that stumbles do happen and that’s ok. Just pick yourself up, remind yourself why you signed up to the pledge in the first place and start anew. No one is keeping score. It is meant to be fun and enjoyable and the effect switching to a vegan diet will have, even if just for January, will be immeasurable.
Dairy Substitutes, Plant-Based
- Milks (in both the refrigerated and shelf section of your supermarket)
- Creamers (for cooking and coffee)
- Cheese (slices, spreads, shredded, hard)
- Cream cheese
- Plant-based eggs
(ready-made or make your own using flaxseed)
- Plant-based meats
- Legumes: beans, lentils and chickpeas
- Nut butters
- Seeds: hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin
- Grains: quinoa, brown rice, spelt, bulger, millet
- Tofu: firm (cooking) and silken (soups)
- Vegetable stock (or you can make your own)
- Coconut milk (canned)
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Vegan sugar
- Canned tomatoes
- Dried pasta (egg-free)
- Sweet potatoes
- Onions, garlic and shallots
- Dried hot and cold cereals
- Sweeteners: agave, maple syrup, molasses, Medjool dates, coconut sugar
- Nutritional yeast
- Smoked oil and seasonings such as smoked paprika
- Tamari sauce (trust us on this one)
- Dried spices
Dips and Spreads
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Favorite vegetables, both fresh and frozen
- Favorite fruits, fresh and frozen
- Fresh herbs (parsley, dill, mint, cilantro, basil to name a few)
Obviously adjust this list if you are on a special diet. Searching for recipes to make before you head out to grocery store, so you aren’t schlepping in the cold for a lemon is a great idea. Our website has delicious ideas for smoothies, soups, desserts and meals. You can also go to veganuary.com for others or just Google a dish + vegan—there are so many out there! Every day, everyday people like you and I are making food choices as if the well-being of the Earth depends on them and we welcome you on this journey.
Download the milkadamia Veganuary Shopping List HERE.